Friday (December 1st) was my last day as PR & Communications Specialist at the Yamatji Marlpa Barna Baba Maaja Aboriginal Corporation, which made the reality of our decisions suddenly seem very sharp...and brought home a realisation that we are actually beginning our adventure. Here is my farewell email to my (now former) colleagues:
Dear All,
D-day has now arrived for me - a day tinged with a range of emotions. My two and a half years here has been amazing, both professionally and personally. I started at the land council only a few months after my husband David and I came back to Perth after almost eight years away, which means that so many of my experiences of being back have been shaped by my time working with you and with the people that we serve. It is only fitting, then, that I am leaving Yamatji because we are again packing up and leaving Australia.
Never have I worked in an environment as challenging and fulfilling, as rewarding and as frustrating as this one! I am grateful for the privilege of being invited to share some of the culture, history and lives of our Aboriginal colleagues and clients. The experiences that I have had and the things that I have learnt, I will always treasure. I am also grateful to have finally been able to use my professional skills and knowledge to do some truly meaningful things (an experience not readily available when you work in PR!). I am proud to have played my small part in drawing attention to the disparities and injustices to which Aboriginal people are still subject. There are countless issues that need to be shouted from the rooftops and I know that Amy will continue to promote, among other things, the messages of fair play, good practices and equal rights. And I too will try to continue to advocate these messages to the people I meet as we travel the world - these are important issues which deserve a fair hearing.
David and I head off in a couple of weeks to pursue a new journey, rooted in our own spiritual and cultural traditions, which will include moving to live in the Jewish homeland - an area which has, as difficult as it is to believe, even more land disputes and cultural complexities. Our adventure can be traced via our website http://www.inonehour.net (which should be completed in a week or so), my newly-created travel blog http://theinonehourdiaries.blogspot.com/ or my email msolsyd@gmail.com
I take with me so many fond memories and I thank you for your part in them.
Good luck, good health and best wishes.
Marjorie
Sunday, 3 December 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment