It was a tough (for both of us) that I didn't go, but the event was universally reported to be a great success. Here are some of Mark's pictures...
David in full swing...
Meanwhile, while David was giving his rallying call for living in The Land, I was off celebrating its independence. I spent the Yom Haatzmaut Monday evening with George, Lina and Tallula (still no pictures, bad, bad...) and some of their friends with small children. We went in search of a party, but in the end the only one we stayed at was the street party behind George and Lina's house...cute, but a bit daggy in a time-warped kind of way.
The following day I continued my Israel experience and was on the train (for the first time, in fact) up to Pardes Chana, to join the Shatil family BBQ (aka Sharron's family). David was most envious because I had the opportunity to meet the whole family (including the infamous Adon Shatil - Sharron's father) and to see first hand, at last, the famous Chateau Shatil. I was also participating in a true Israeli custom - the Yom Haatzmaut BBQ!
Of course, my Hebrew conversational options ran out within 30 seconds, so this was hardly a true Israeli experience as people were speaking to me - very kindly - in English throughout the afternoon. But I still felt some level of cultural assimilation...
I stayed the night in Pardes Chana and the next day Sharron took me for a drive to Zichron Yaakov, the place we had been talking of moving to if things did not work out in Tel Aviv. What a beautiful place! It reminded me of an Israeli version of Margaret River, complete with the artist shops, the surrounding vineyards and the sea being too far away to walk! Absolutely gorgeous, villagey and fabulous...but without a car, life would be a big bummer. Not for us now, but maybe sometime...
No comments:
Post a Comment