David and I have just returned from hearing Megillat Eichah (Book of Lamentations) on top of the Iria (city council), just next to Kikar Rabin (named after Yitchak Rabin, who was assassinated there), tonight being Tisha B'Av. The city has set up a series of talks for the evening but we didn't stay for long because David found them frustratingly meaningless. I didn't mind: the Hebrew was slow and clear and I was able to make out some of what was being said.
Once again Israel has surprised us in its treatment of an event on the Jewish calendar. While the rest of the Jewish world, in a sense, goes about their business on Tisha B'Av, taking their fast in their stride, everything here shuts down. Shops and cafes are closed, the bank is closed (not that that comes as a great shock!) and many people will not be working tomorrow. Another moment of enlightenment about the varying perspectives between Israel and the Diaspora.
I have been a little nervous about this fast as it is in the middle of summer here and the thought of thirst and dehydration looms large. The day, naturally, will feel longer being summer. We shall see how tomorrow pans out.
I wish you a good fast and a meaningful Tisha B'Av.
Monday, 23 July 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment